Sunday 2 June 2013

Emergence

I went down today specifically looking for the emergence of Marsh Fritalliries and Emperor Dragonflys. I was successful on the latter. I saw a nymph climb up a reed and here is what occurred:


1.Here he comes - what a great sight! This creature has been lurking in the pond for a year.


2.The emerging dragonfly was not climbing up the plant - it seems to have flipped downwards.


3. Still going downward! It then dropped into the water! Cue the rescue - wellies and socks off I waded out and got him/her.


4. I put him on some gorse to dry out and he was moving. I then went for a walk.



5. This is what I found when I came back - gutted!

On a happier note here are a pair of Azure Damselflys:



3 comments:

  1. I know - still thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, what a shame, but that's nature i guess. Azure beautiful.

    ReplyDelete